Frequently asked questions - Using the site
Finding and downloading books
I can't find the book I'm looking for in your catalogue.
I downloaded a book and can’t find the file
For general tips on how to locate files, read our tutorials on how to download DAISY, MP3 and ebraille books.
Formats, technology and site requirements
Where can I learn more about Direct to player service?
Find out more on our Direct to Player page.
Does Direct to Player service work with the Victor Stream?
Yes. The Victor Stream (new generation, with wifi) works with Direct to Player service. Press the "0" key on your Stream to check that you have the latest firmware upgrade (4.8).
If you have version 4.8, contact our Contact Centre for help at 1-855-655-2273. You can start using the Direct to Player service right away. All you need to do is select a book in Direct to Player format on the website. The book will appear on your Stream’s bookshelf immediately. If you want to transfer your existing holds on DAISY CDs to Direct to Player service, please call the Contact Centre at 1-855-655-2273.
Which computer set up does your site work with?
- We test with a variety of computer set ups, including:
- Chrome (latest version) on Windows 7 and 10
- Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 and 10
- Safari (latest version) on iOS (iPad and iPhone)
- Voiceover on Mac, iPad and iPhone
- JAWS 2018 on Windows 10, JAWS 17 and JAWS 16 on Windows 7
- NVDA (Non-visual desktop access, a free screen reader) (latest version) on Windows 10
- ZoomText 10 and up
- The library web site no longer supports Internet Explorer 8, 9 or 10. These older browsers are increasingly unsupported by many websites and lack the security and functionality associated with modern browsers. Developing, testing and maintaining our site for these browsers is no longer sustainable. If you're having trouble using the site with Internet Explorer, consider trying Chrome.
How do I use your site with a screen reader?
Learning just a handful of standard keystrokes can save you hours of time! Read accessibility tips to learn how to navigate by headings, forms, and landmarks and for specific tips on navigating through search results.
How many items (books or magazines) can I have at one time?
You can have up to 12 printbraille books and 12 Direct to Player books or magazines on your bookshelf at a time. There are no specific limitations on other formats. Overall, you can receive or download 150 titles within a 30 day period.
For all formats, we distribute at a regular rate, e.g. 2 per week; 1 per month.
CELA does not have fines for overdue or damaged items.
What do I do if there are books on my loans list that I already returned?
Please report these titles to us. For printbraille books, we'd ask you to make a special effort to check around the house because these materials are in limited supply and are costly to replace.
Why are the books I download in DAISY download (ZIP) format due back in three days?
You may ignore this due date. The books will be checked back into the library automatically. However, you must delete the files from your computer and reading devices after you've finished with them. This is an important part of protecting your right to access.