Have a student with a print disability? Connect them to accessible reading!
If you’re a Canadian educator supporting a student with a print disability like vision loss, you can receive free access to thousands of accessible reading materials for your students through your public library’s CELA service, including Bookshare.
What are the benefits of joining the Educator access program?
- Help ensure that your students with print disabilities have timely access to available materials in alternate formats like audio, accessible e-books and braille.
- Easily facilitate access to valuable service for students who experience barriers in using their public library independently.
- Learn more about CELA and Bookshare so you can show your students how to borrow and use the books on their own.
- Introduce your students to valuable resources they can use in the classroom and beyond for years to come.
Very necessary for our students. Keep bringing us more avenues to increase literacy for our students! They want to read and get bored quickly if there isn’t a diverse, rich cache of books and other media to enjoy
– Educator on using CELA and Bookshare
Educators who work with students with print disabilities in an elementary, secondary or post-secondary institution are eligible for this program. Educators can include teachers, teacher librarians, educational assistants, and special education teachers, anyone who supports students with print disabilities in a formal educational setting.
Print disabilities are disabilities that make it difficult or impossible to read ordinary printed books, and include visual disabilities, physical disabilities and learning disabilities. More information about print disabilities.
How do I access the Bookshare collection?
What’s included in the CELA educator access program?
- Books, magazines and newspapers in audio, braille and e-text
- 150 titles within a 30 day period. For printbraille titles, you may borrow up to 10 printbraille books at a time. If that number is reached, future requests will be put on hold.
- Free access to Bookshare
- Training videos, tutorials and webinars
Which devices do CELA books work on?
CELA books may be read on DAISY players, tablets and on a computer. The Compatible devices and software page provides a full list of reading options.
Can my students read CELA books on a Chromebook?
How do I receive and return physical materials like braille books?
Visit our Delivery options page for more information about how materials are delivered and returned.
How can I share information about CELA with colleagues, students and their families?
- Request free CELA Educator Access flyers. The flyer is offered in French and English. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order or download a print-ready PDF
- Add a link to CELA’s website to your school’s website
- Share a post about CELA educator access on your Facebook page or newsletter
- Talk to staff at your public library about how you can work together to promote CELA
How will CELA and Bookshare protect my privacy?
May I load CELA books onto a shared network at my school, e.g. Google classroom?
CELA books cannot be uploaded to a school network, even if access is limited only to students with print disabilities.
Can homeschooling families sign up for the educator access program?
Homeschooling families should register the eligible child or children for an individual CELA and Bookshare account; the teaching parent may act as a designate on the child’s account and can support the child’s use of the CELA and Bookshare service.
Can educators who work with students with a print disability borrow from our library’s deposit collection or other CELA materials in our library?
May I remediate, transcribe, or emboss files from the CELA or Bookshare collection for my students with a print disability?
Yes, you may remediate, transcribe or emboss files from the CELA or Bookshare collection to meet the specific needs of your students with a print disability. You must not modify the content of the book and you must keep all copyright statements, fingerprinting and watermarking included in the files.
More questions? Email or call the CELA Contact Centre at email@example.com or by phone at 1-855-655-2273.