TD Summer Reading Club Accessibility Award
The Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) is Canada’s most comprehensive accessible reading service, providing books and other materials to Canadians with print disabilities in the formats of their choice. CELA gives access to over 700,000 professionally produced titles to provide a quality library experience to people with print disabilities.
Each year CELA works with the TD Summer Reading Club program to develop the accessible elements of the program. These materials are distributed to libraries to assist them in developing inclusive programming for kids of all abilities.
To recognize the efforts of libraries, CELA and its partners have initiated an annual award for English and French programming. The award was established to promote excellence in accessible programming, and to celebrate the creativity of library staff who engage children with print disabilities in their TD Summer Reading Club by:
- making their reading activities and programs inclusive to children of all abilities
- promoting community partnerships that strengthen access to materials and programming for children with print disabilities
2018 Cochrane Public Library, ON (English)
2018 Bibliothèque de Saint-Léonard, QC (French)
2017 Bibliothèque Jean-Lapierre, QC
One winner in each language will receive a Accessible Reading Prize Pack.
Winners will be announced on the CELA and the TD Summer Reading Club websites.
Who is eligible to apply for the Awards?
- The applicant must be a local public library or a public library branch that is registered with the TD Summer Reading Club.
- The applicant must have offered the TD Summer Reading Club program, in its local branch, for a minimum of six weeks during the previous summer and have clearly identified the TD Summer Reading Club in all of its promotional and programming materials as outlined in the detailed brand guidelines on the website.
- The applicant must be prepared to promote its TD Summer Reading Club program and share its success strategies through workshops and/or on the program website.
- The winners from any given year will not be eligible for prizes in the following year.
How to apply
- Submit one application either in English or French.
- Complete the TD Summer Reading Club Accessibility Award Application.
- Submit supporting documentation to substantiate your application.
- Documentation should effectively define the program offered by your library and can include photographs, letters, statistics, news articles, copies of website pages, newsletters, promotional materials, or other appropriate materials.
Submit supporting documentation by email to email@example.com by October 3, 2019.
Evaluation criteria for the CELA Accessibility Award
Applicants will be assessed against all of the following evaluation criteria. The program description and supporting documentation must provide evidence that the public library branch:
- used the accessible program materials (e.g. accessible notebook, postcards, titles from CELA’s collection if requested) to offer inclusive and accessible TD Summer Reading Club events and activities.
- made staff, volunteers and summer students aware of resources to offer equitable library services.
- noted and indicated an improvement in the literacy and library engagement of children with print disabilities as a result of delivering an accessible TD Summer Reading Club program.
- gave children access to and promoted accessible materials (e.g. DAISY text, DAISY audio books, braille) of various genres and formats and at different reading levels that were geared to their interests, abilities and experiences.
- developed innovative outreach strategies to include the print disabled community, and to invite various groups of children or community groups (learning disability associations, CNIB, etc.) in the age groups targeted by the library branch.
CELA invites library staff, parents, or professionals working with children with print disabilities to join the selection committee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.