Accessing books for your patrons
Make a wide variety of accessible materials available for your patrons with print disabilities right in your library. All CELA member libraries have a six-digit account number that enables you to borrow titles that are not available at your library. You may use your account to:
- Borrow CDs or braille directly from CELA for patrons who enjoy picking up their books at the library
- Request a book club title for your members with print disabilities
- Add a DAISY CD or braille book to your displays
Please help us protect CELA services by ensuring only those people with print disabilities are accessing the materials.
What formats may I borrow?
- DAISY CDs delivered to your library or burn them on site
- DAISY zipped files (transfer to a DAISY player on an SD card)
- Direct to Player - pre-load your library's DAISY player with books and magazines
- DAISY text (read using apps such as EasyReader, transfer to a DAISY player on an SD card or on your computer)
- Braille books, including picture books for children with braille (printbraille)
For instructions on how to transfer books, visit our Help page.
How does it work?
Libraries may log in and select a book title and specific format. Instructions on how to search and place holds are found on our Help page
Zip files will no longer appear on your account after 3 days. Please return physical CDs to CELA by mailing them in the CD envelopes. Printbraille should be returned in the CELA mailing bags.
Ordering books for your patrons
Some patrons prefer to order CELA books through their library. You may use the reading lists function on celalibrary.ca to create lists with the name of the patron. Please note that the CDs issued on your account will have the library's name on them. We cannot provide CDs with the patron's name on your account. If patrons wish to receive home delivery, they may register for an individual CELA account. Visit the Register page to learn how to sign up patrons.
How are physical materials shipped and returned?
Our DAISY books on CD and our printbraille books are sent to you by mail postage free, and you return them the same way. Your library is allowed 2000 titles within a 30 day period. If that number is reached, future requests will be put on hold.
Books on CD
- Your library's name and address will appear on each CD and will show through the plastic window on the envelope.
- To return CDs to CELA: flip the CD over so that the silver side with the tactile ridge shows through the plastic window, then send with your regular mail. Canada Post will return it, postage free, to CELA using the return address on the back of the mailer.
- Alternatively, CDs may be kept and added to your library's DAISY CD deposit collection for circulation to eligible patrons, if desired.
Magazines on CD
- Audio magazines do not need to be returned.
- Braille books are sent in boxes or envelopes and does not need to be returned.
- Printbraille books are sent in bags, with a paper address card with your name and address on one side, and the CELA return address on the other.
- To return a printbraille book, place it back in its bag, flip the address card over and put the bag back in the mail (post free).