Open Book: August 2018
In this issue:
- New titles
- Top five
- A Hamilton mixtape
- Top five for kids
- Top five for teens
- Stay connected!
Noir by Christopher Moore
It's not every afternoon that an enigmatic blond named Stilton (like the cheese) walks into the scruffy gin joint where Sammy "Two Toes" Tiffin tends bar. It's love at first sight, but before Sammy can make his move, an Air Force general named Remy arrives with some urgent business. Bestseller.
Most popular with our readers last month:
- The fallen by David Baldacci Mysteries
- The high tide club by Mary Kay Andrews Romance
- All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr War stories
- The cutting edge by Jeffery Deaver Mysteries
- Booking in by Jack Batten Mysteries
A Hamilton mixtape: For lovers of the musical and devourers of good books
- What was the America Alexander Hamilton came to? Listen to Alexander Hamilton, while reading Igniting the American Revolution: 1773-1775
- American emperor: Aaron Burr's challenge to Jefferson's America lends insight into the later life of the man first introduced in "Aaron Burr, Sir"
- My shot is a great companion to Revolution song: a story of American freedom, an exploration of other figures that shaped the American Revolution
- Listen to "The Schuyler Sisters" while reading A vindication of the rights of woman and Thomas Paine: enlightenment, revolution, & the birth of modern nations
- The song "Farmer Refuted" is based on a follow-up publication to A Full Vindication of the Measures of Congress, found in the Selected Works of Alexander Hamilton
- Listen to "Right-Hand Man" while reading Washington and Hamilton: the alliance that forged America
- I, Eliza Hamilton and My dear Hamilton: a novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton, both works of fiction, help expand on the song "Helpless"
- The classic tale of unrequited love, Wuthering Heights, is best read while humming along to "Satisfied"
- The strong tempo of "Stay Alive" is well-matched to The strategy of victory: how General George Washington won the American Revolution
- Learn more about the infamous feud that led to the "Ten Duel Commandments" in Rivals unto death: Hamilton and Burr by Rick Beyer
- These sweet books to read to your kids capture the angelic tune of "Dear Theodosia"
- Listen to "The Room Where it Happens" while reading Alexander Hamilton by Charles A. Conant, which talks about his work in drafting the American Constitution
- Hamilton: the revolution by the musical’s creator Lin-Manuel Miranda, is the best round-up to accompany the last song: "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
- Check our your local public library, for ways to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack!
Top five for teens
Most popular with teens last month:
- “P.S. This book blows!” People don’t hold back in this funny article about notes written in books
- The Verge talks about the backroom lawsuits, Kindle Unlimited scams and the unknown world of Romance writing in a fascinating piece of investigative reporting
- An argument for writing poverty and class in books and for kids seeing themselves in what they read, from an article out of the UK