The instructions in this tutorial teach you how to download a book in EPUB format on a Chromebook and open it in Google’s Read&Write program. You will need to download and install the Read&Write application on your Chromebook before completing the steps in the tutorial.
How to download an EPUB to a Chromebook
Step 1: Find a book
- Enter the following address in your Internet browser: celalibrary.ca
- Go to the Search box.
- Enter the title or keywords for the book you want to download and select the Search button. In this example, we will be searching for the book Son of a trickster.
A new page with your Search results will display.
- Find the title.
Step 2: Get it!
- Under the title and book summary, you will find the Get it! options menu. From the Get it! options menu, select the EPUB (ZIP) format and then select the Get it! button.
A pop-up appears, informing you that the title will soon be ready on the Available ZIP files for download page.
- Select OK to close the pop-up.
If you’re prompted to sign in, enter your CELA account number and password, and select the Log in button.
- Select My Account.
- Select Available ZIP files for download.
When the file is available for download, it will become available on the screen.
Step 3: Save the file
- When the file appears on screen, select the Download link.
An Open / Save dialogue box will appear near the bottom of the screen.
- Select the down arrow beside the Save button. From the list of options select Save as.
- Select where you want to save the file on your computer.
- Select the Save button.
Your file will start to download. Your Internet browser will indicate the size of the file and its download status.
Step 4: Open the book in Read&Write
- Open the Read&Write app.
- Select the Choose file button.
- Navigate to the EPUB file you downloaded and select Open.
The book will open in Read&Write.