Linking CELA account with Google smart speaker application
Enable notifications for Google Home
Before you begin, make sure that you have notifications enabled for your Google Home app on your Smart Phone or tablet. These instructions were written using a device running iOS 15. The procedure may vary slightly if you are using a different device.
We have also prepared a video tutorial on linking your CELA account with the Google smart speaker (Youtube). To link your account:
- Open the Google Home app on your phone or tablet.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Notifications. If they are already turned on, you can skip directly to Link the Accessible Reading Canada application. Otherwise continue with steps below:
- Tap "Turn on notifications".
- You will be informed that you have to go to your phone settings to continue.
- Tap the "Go to settings" button. This will open the Settings app on your device. You now see a list of settings for the Google Home app.
- Toggle the "Notifications" switch to "on". Here you will find a list of further optional possible customization settings for the way notifications for Google Home are delivered to your device. You can ignore these and go to next step.
- Return to the Google Home app.
- Tap the "Close" button. This will exit the Settings section and return you to your main screen of the Google Home app. You are now ready to start setting up the CELA Accessible Reading Canada application.
Link the Accessible Reading Canada application with your CELA account
- Using your Google home smart speaker, say "Ok Google, talk to Accessible Reading Canada." This is the phrase you will use each time you want to use the Accessible Reading Canada application.
- The smart speaker should recognize your request and welcome you to Accessible Reading Canada.
- The first time you open the application on the smart speaker, you will be asked to connect your CELA library account. Answer "Yes" when asked if you want to do this now.
- Confirm that it is ok to continue on your phone. You will hear a confirmation that a link was sent to your Google Home app.
- Select the Feed tab in your Google Home app. At the top of this screen, you will find the notification about linking your CELA account.
- Tap the "Link" button. A login page for CELA opens.
- Enter your CELA username and password and press "Log in".
- Start the CELA Google Home app again by saying “OK Google, talk to Accessible Reading Canada” (the invocation phrase).
- You will hear a confirmation that your CELA account was successfully linked.